What is the Highland Community Initiative?
- A grassroots effort engaging residents of the Highland area around the development of the Ford property site.
- A way to recognize and tap into the talent and creativity of Highland residents to add valuable local input to the Ford site development.
What are the goals of HCI?
- To build the community that will be the community.
- Engage residents in the redevelopment process in a creative and positive way.
- Enable the effective communication and expression of the community’s values.
- To become the basis for an ongoing community organization.
How did HCI start?
The initiative began with the Social Justice Committee of Lumen Christi Catholic Community in alliance with other faith communities as an effort to guarantee that social justice principles and community values guide the development of the Ford site.
What is HCI doing?
- Setting up interest groups and committees around various topics.
- Holding informal neighborhood meetings for information sharing.
- Encouraging awareness, exploration and discussion of themes, possibilities and issues.
- Promoting and ensuring the legacy of the Highland area and Ford plant.
- Creating events (speakers, panels, workshops, activities etc.) as a means of engaging, educating and informing the broader community.
- Marking the achievements, milestones and goals of community growth and the Ford site development by celebrations.